The education industry is witnessing a huge transition in this digital age. Students and colleges all across the globe are moving away from the one-dimensional, chalk-and-board learning techniques.
Instead, they’ve begun to use a range of online technologies to help ease, simplify, and contextualize the whole learning process, such as incorporating e-learning into higher education.
High tuition costs, budget restrictions, and course shortages are just a few of the reasons why students all over the world are looking for alternatives to the conventional educational system to pursue their studies.
Electronic learning has become one of the most popular higher education choices in recent history, thanks to its steadily increasing reputation.
Credits are awarded for online courses, and their certificates are identical to those awarded for on-campus courses.
Student enrollment in entirely online courses or taking at least one online course as part of their official education is increasing on a daily basis, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
In a nutshell, e-learning is the delivery of educational content and learning via the use of digital resources.
Despite the fact that the whole learning process is based on formal education concepts, it is delivered over the internet via electronic devices such as computers, tablets, and even smartphones.
This allows students to access their online lessons at any time and from anywhere.
- What Is E-Learning?
- Top 10 Benefits Of Using E-Learning Over Traditional Methods
- 1. Scalability of Resources: Save Time & Money
- 2. Teacher shortages can be solved by online learning
- 3. Quick Delivery Of Lessons
- 4. Personalization: Course Structure Is Customized
- 5. E-learning Makes Full Use Of Analytics
- 6. There is no need for textbooks
- 7. Effectiveness
- 8. E-learning Adapts to Your Specific Needs
- 9. Environmental Friendly
- 10. Easy to Track Learning Progress with Traceable Outcomes
- Final Words
What Is E-Learning?
E-learning is a type of learning that takes place online via the internet. It can take many forms, including web-based training, video conferencing, and more. E-learning can be used to supplement or replace traditional classroom-based instruction.
It has many advantages, such as providing flexible learning opportunities for students and allowing educators to reach a wider audience. E-learning is also relatively affordable and can be easily scaled to meet the needs of a large number of learners.
Advantages of e-learning:
- It encourages active and autonomous learning; it is a cost-effective method of providing courses since the materials are accessible from anywhere and at any time, and it promotes active and independent learning.
- Students may participate in group discussions and private conversations with classmates from all around the globe.
The study materials are available an infinite number of times.
Disadvantages of e-learning:
- Online learning systems’ security is sometimes questioned; the validity of a specific student’s work cannot be verified, and not everyone is self-disciplined enough for self-training.
Top 10 Benefits Of Using E-Learning Over Traditional Methods
To summarise, the following are ten key benefits that online education has over its more conventional counterparts:
2. Teacher shortages can be solved by online learning
The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) published a study in 2019 stating that experienced teachers are in short supply.
Furthermore, the LPI (Learning Policy Institute) has repeatedly emphasized the issue of teacher shortage, identifying it as “one of the most serious concerns confronting policymakers.”
The problem of teacher shortages will likely be tough to address, but the advantages of E-Learning in mitigating teacher shortages may be undervalued. Let’s make a comparison to help explain.
E-Learning courses created by one or two certified and experienced professors may be delivered to thousands, if not millions, of students, while regular universities have an average of 16.5 students per staff person.
E-learning has the potential to reduce the need for the vast 3-million-strong teaching staff that exists in the United States today. Instead of concentrating our efforts on hiring more teachers, we should consider allowing our best instructors to Use E-Learning to distribute their content to a wider variety of students.
3. Quick Delivery Of Lessons
eLearning is a method of delivering courses quickly. This manner of distribution offers shorter delivery cycles than standard classroom education methods.
This means that the amount of time it takes to learn is lowered by 25% to 60% compared to conventional learning. The following are some of the reasons why eLearning reduces learning time:
- Lessons are brief and may be completed in a single learning session. This allows training courses to be implemented in a matter of weeks, if not days.
- Instead of learning at the same pace as the rest of the class, students may choose their own pace.
- The learner does not have to go to the training location, which saves time. You may study in the privacy of your own home.
- Students may concentrate on select and important sections of the learning content rather than studying everything. They may, for example, skip through sections they don’t wish to study.
5. E-learning Makes Full Use Of Analytics
Data is critical for improving training materials and increasing learning results. E-learning systems have been found to be more successful than any other way of acquiring data and conducting analytics.
By collecting data on student dropout rates, educational institutions may now uncover possible flaws in their course materials. They may do more research to see if the implemented improvements improved the situation.
The importance of educational data is enormous, and its full potential has yet to be realized.
6. There is no need for textbooks
The textbook market is worth between $7 and $10 billion according to Applied Education System, and the typical college student spends over $1,200 per year on textbooks alone.
Many students use their student loans to pay for textbooks, and students who graduate with student debts are known to be more stressed and depressed.
One of the major benefits of E-Learning is that it does not need students to purchase any textbooks. All of the learning resources are available in an unrestricted online format.
Unlike textbooks, which must be reprinted and rebought when they become outdated, online learning resources may be retaken and updated an endless number of times.
8. E-learning Adapts to Your Specific Needs
Online learning is intended to meet the requirements of all students.
The advancement of current technology has resulted in a total alteration in how we access to content: newspapers, books, and everything else has moved into the digital world.
The same can be said about studying, since online courses may be taken by housewives or individuals who work full-time while seeking higher education. They are free to choose their productive hours, which are frequently on weekends when they have some extra time.
Multitasking seems to be our future, given the bulk of the world’s population’s crowded daily schedules and hectic lives.
9. Environmental Friendly
Because eLearning is a paperless method of instruction, it helps to safeguard the environment to a large degree.
According to research on eLearning courses, distance-based curriculums used 90 percent less electricity and produced 85 percent less CO2 emissions than typical campus-based educational courses.
There is no need to chop down trees to get paper using eLearning. As a result, eLearning is a very environmentally friendly method of learning.
With the advancement of modern technology, the possibilities for learning have never been higher.
E-learning opened the path to higher education in a timely and efficient manner, and it continues to make it simpler for individuals all over the globe to achieve their goals, regardless of age or prior knowledge.
When thinking about getting an e-learning certificate, it’s crucial to examine what you’ll be studying. Some subjects are more suited to online learning than others.
E-Learning has grown in popularity and acceptance among students all around the globe as a result of the many advantages it provides.